Sunday, May 19, 2013

The beginning!

Ok, so this is my first blog post.....ever!!! A few people have been asking me to post about what I did recently in order to lose weight (75 pounds to be exact!). So I figured I would go ahead and get started, and then start blogging about some of the things I want to do now that I have this new body, as well as how I plan on keeping myself healthy. So here goes....

Towards the end of 2012, I was feeling like crap, all the time, every day. My body hurt, my stomach hurt, I was coughing up phlegm after every meal I ate. I had acid reflux and was on Dexilant to control it, coughed all the time, was sick about every 6-8 weeks with either a cold, flu, whatever...The bottom line.....I just felt like crap all the time. My weight was a whopping 274lbs, and my BMI index had me listed as Severely Obese. I was not in a good place. At night sometimes I would actually wake up with stomach fluid in my mouth and it ended up burning my esophagus.

Right about this time, my primary care Dr. decided she was leaving our practice, so this was the catalyst I needed to seek out a new Doctor and get a fresh start. A family friend had recommended I check out Visions Health Care in Wellesley and Dedham, MA. The office and the Doctors practice functional medicine. So you may ask, what is functional medicine....well...


According to the Institute for Functional Medicine, it is “personalized medicine that deals with primary prevention and underlying causes instead of symptoms for serious chronic disease.”
 
You can check out the Visions Health Care site here!

I called the office and ended up choosing a new Dr, Sarah Byrne, and then made my first appointment. My initial appointment was in the Wellesley office, however now Dr Byrne is in Dedham. Once I arrived at the office, I was greeted by Dr Byrne when it was time for my appointment and we went directly to her office. At that point, we talked....and talked....and talked.... We ended up talking about how I felt, what bothered me, pretty much Dr Byrne listened to everything I said. Then she suggested we do some blood work to establish a baseline for what was going on inside my body as well as doing a full blown blood-based allergy test.

I will leave off here for now...stay tuned for more..

No comments:

Post a Comment