Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Dealing with the Food Allergies and Setting up the Diet

So as it turns out...having a food allergy in my case was not so much that I was having an allergic reaction to certain foods, like hives, rashes, etc. In my case the allergy was internal, and had everything to do with proteins within those foods. Who knew?

Take bread for instance, which I loved! Every sub roll, piece of bread, sandwich wrap etc. that I ate was taking weeks to be digested. Apparently my body was not digesting a number of these foods properly, and the food was literally molding inside my stomach. One of the biggest offenders of this, PASTA....which I could eat every meal of every day...but now, I have to avoid it like the plague.

So after my first meeting with the Nutritionist, we started to put a plan together for how I was going to reset my body and get it ready to start losing weight. For those interested, my nutritionist can be found at this link: http://www.visionshealthcare.com/author/jgoicoecheavisionsmedical-com/.

Part 1 of Project - Get Healthy
The first part of the plan the nutritionist identified for me was to do a full body cleanse/detox. The program used by Julianne was from a company called Metagenics and the Cleanse information can be found at this link: http://www.metagenics.com/lifestyle-medicine-programs/clear-change.

The detox program, called ClearChange was available in 2 different flavors - 10 day or a 28 day. With the condition I was in, I had no choice, I had to do the 28 day cleanse. Having never done a cleanse before, I was a little worried as my body has been so conditioned to eating so much crap I was worried about what I would be eating on the program.

The cleanse involved taking a supplement in the form of a  liquid shake mixed with water, a pill supplement called AdvaClear and a Probiotic. For the record, up to this point, the only vitamins I have ever taken were a Metagenics multivitamin and Magnesium (both recommended by my chiropractor).
During the cleanse, it was recommended that I stop taking the other supplements. In addition, because I was taking Dexilant to address my acid reflux, the Dr and Nutritionist both recommended stopping that as well.

If anyone is interested, you can actually download the program guide for the 28 day program here: http://www.metagenics.com/sites/default/files/resources/met1899_clearchange_28_day_program_guide_0.pdf

So, after reviewing the Detox program with Julianne, I was ready to begin the journey. One of the biggest challenges I faced with this program was the very limited food choices allowed during the 28 day program. For the most part, the only protein I was able to eat was Fish. Which I actually like. The issue  - No one else in the family did! That meant during the detox, I was on my own for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner....for basically a month. But, I made the decision this was needed for me to get healthy, so I was committed to do whatever it took.

After setting up my first week menu with the Nutritionist, she informed me that during the first week I would most definitely feel like crap, have headaches, and just feel really miserable as the toxins within my body were gradually removed. She also informed me that during the program, most people lost between 4 - 8 lbs, and not to be disappointed about weight loss during the detox - The goal of the detox was to get my body ready to lose weight - Not to actually do it!

So, I headed out of her office, stopped at the front desk to pick up my supplements, and headed home with a week one menu in hand and ready to begin....

No comments:

Post a Comment